Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Dabble, Dabble

>> Featured Artist: The White Stripes

Right now, I'm not too excited to give any Detroit shout-outs. You know why, Detroit. YOU KNOW WHY.

But I guess I would have already mentioned that The White Stripes have put out a new album if it wasn't for my personal hold-ups. So, I'm going to try to be ethical and maintain the journalistic standards you all know I have come to embody.

For the record, I have never been on this bandwagon. The Stripes, as their lazy fans call them, have always kinda-sorta grated me with their overbearing guitars and Jack White's grating voice. That said, there are plenty of exceptions; in fact I've come to have an appreciation for the times the White Stripes get out of their musical box and do something different. For just two people, they have weaved a pretty intelligent musical history. I certainly wouldn't deny their importance in the music industry, even if just for being an indie act to hit the big time.

The first single, "Icky Thump," however, does not appear to be one of the exceptions in my book. The signature style is in full effect - from the forboding bass drum to the heavy, guitar-driven hook. (P.S., wtf is that strange-instrument solos, other than annoying. And what are the actual guitar solos other than indulgent?) I guess this one just doesn't do it for me - which isn't to say I don't appreciate the line "went home and learned how to clean a bathroom myself."

Still, I'm going to pass. Maybe next time, Detroit...

>> Album Lookout: Our Love to Admire

Interpol - Released: July 10, 2007 Capitol

"No I in Threesome" is a song title I expect from The Offspring or LFO or maybe ODB. Not Interpol. But, then again, I guess all expectations should be thrown out the window if we are to take Our Love to Admire's cover art as a sign of things to come from this NYC band. I mean, at least it sounds like Interpol.

"Maybe it's time we gave something new a try"..."so just let us be free." This song really is a case for bringing another lover into the bed. Wow.

Wow.

The collective verdict seems to be all over the place on this album (which I guess makes my use of "collective" a little oxymoronic) - and the loudest voices seem to be a bit disappointed in this Antics follow-up. Considering I've never been able to take an entire album of this band, I'll be happy with a few solid hits. "The Henrich Maneuver," which I'm pretty sure details the life of a peripheral high-school friend, seems like the band's safe bet for a single.

Yeah, I could dance to that...


>> Reverting to: 1967 Nostalgia

I hate Beatles cover albums - that is, covers of Beatles full albums by "today's hottest acts." Sure, there might be an interesting interpretation here or there - take Sufjan Stevens' "What Goes On" - or a respectable cover with the artists' special touch - take Athlete's "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" from the BBC Sgt. Pepper's tribute (we regret the cut-off ending; but thanks to I Am Fuel,You Are Friends for posting).

Still, the disruption of the awful and/or embarrassingly ambitious covers (and there are always a few, if not more) completely destroy the album. And isn't the point of the whole thing to celebrate the album? I mean, the BBC seems to have done not-a-horrible job putting this one together (especially in retaining the flow of the album), but can this please be the last one, folks? Unless of course, you want a Daddy Gonna Kill Ralphie cover of "Sexy Sadie."

No comments: