Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Special Edition: Toast-tober Baseball (Part II)

Well, we made it a second week. I admit that I was worried about playing the Yankees in the first round. I guess all that national hype got to me. But, alas, we outpitched them and our offense was scrappy and clutch - taking advantage of mistakes and capitalizing on opportunities. Carmona was incredible; Byrd was a journeyman; etc., etc.

And also Joba Chamberlain can't handle the midges.

Fionn Regan - Be Good Or Be Gone

The series before us will prove to be more difficult. It's hard to argue the Red Sox are overrated. I mean, they paid for what they have, but what they have is something special. Beckett has been at his pinnacle nearly all season; Schilling and Wakefield are pros; and Daisuke is overrated and overpaid (hey, I said worse about Melky Cabrera just before he gunned someone out at home and homered in Game 2). And that's just their starting rotation - not to mention their bullpen or Jon Lester. Or their hitting.

Tears for Fears - Break It Down Again


Yeah, the Red Sox are going to be tough. But not unbeatable. After all, the Indians have two Greek gods going in Games 1 and 2 (and 5 and 6, should we get there) and if the Red Sox are going to get by us, they have to get by them. If they do that, well, they will have earned a trip to the World Series.

If I'm the Red Sox, I wouldn't be bidding on World Series tickets just yet. The Tribe is now officially the hottest team in baseball's second half and postseason (with the possible exception of the Rockies). Their pitching is perhaps the best in the bigs (although the Sox have a superior closer) and their lineup has depth that most teams would dream for. Still, it's a young team and anything can happen.

But, frankly, I'd like to think the Indians just plain deserve it more.

OK Go - This Will Be Our Year

So here goes nothing. Let's hope the Tribe can pull four out against these Beantown boys. Next week, I'll be in Cleveland for Game 4, so I won't be blogging again until the ALCS is over. Here's to a Part III.



No comments: